Wednesday, February 21, 2007

goodbye christchurch, hello sydney.

I'm at the free computer kiosk in the CDC (clothing distribution center), replying to some last-minute e-mails before I head over to the international terminal at christchurch international airport. in two and a half hours, I should be on a plane to sydney. I'll spend a few days there with belinda, a friend from the Gates Foundation, and her husband doug; and a few days out in perth with my lovely friend marilyn and her husband allen.

the past week has been a whirlwind of greeting ice friends as they come north from mcmurdo, having leisurely meals that don't come on blue trays, people-watching in cathedral square, finalizing travel details, and relaxing in the sun. I went for a short run in the botanical gardens yesterday, surely one of the most beautiful places on earth in which to run. on sunday, delaney and I went north a couple of hours to the natural hot springs at hanmer, where a park-like complex has been built on thermal springs ranging in temperature from 36C to 41C. we lounged like lizards and read our books and soaked in the springs and even took in a local soapbox car race. I also saw stars for the first time since august. in hanmer, without the light pollution of christchurch to obscure them, the stars were absolutely brilliant. delaney is something of an astronomy buff and pointed out a bunch of lovely southern-hemisphere constellations.

I'm excited to start my travels.

hope this finds everyone well and happy.

ciao for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home